To apply online:
Go to www.cbic.org and select the “Examination Application” link under the Certification, Recertification or My Certification tabs, or click here.
To apply using a paper application:
Complete the paper application and mail or fax it, along with the required documents, to the CBIC Office:
555 East Wells St.,
Milwaukee, WI 53202.
You must include ALL of the following with your completed application form:
- Proof of diploma/degree or transcript
- Completed attestation statement form signed by your supervisor/director, attesting that you meet all of the eligibility requirements above (see Eligibility Requirements, page 2).
- Official job description for the position in which you are currently employed.
- A copy of your CV or resume.
- Self-employed applicants only: Candidates must have client attestation statements completed by three (3) clients whom they have provided infection prevention and control services to in the past 2 years. The client attestation statement form for self-employed candidates can be downloaded from the CBIC website. Attestation statements should be directly forwarded by the person completing them to the CBIC Office at 555 East Wells St., Suite 1100, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
- Payment of the examination fees. If using a paper application, payment in U.S. dollars may be made by personal check, cashier’s check, money order or credit card. If applying online, payment must be made by credit card.
CBIC reserves the right to verify all information supplied by the candidate. An application is considered complete when:
- all requested information has been submitted and determined to be accurate,
- examination fees have been submitted,
- the candidate has been determined eligible for the examination.
Once an application has been successfully submitted, the candidate will receive an email notifying them of successful submission, after which the application is reviewed. If an application is incomplete or there is not sufficient proof of eligibility, a CBIC staff member will contact the applicant via the email address provided on the application. Otherwise, the candidate can expect to receive a second email containing exam appointment scheduling instructions within five business days of application submission.
Examination fees for accepted applications will be refunded minus a $72 processing fee if cancelled by candidate. Examination fees for ineligible applications will be fully refunded.
The fee for the initial certification examination is $375. Candidates must submit the appropriate fee with a complete examination application.
Examination fees will be forfeited and will not be refunded if the eligible candidate who is approved to take the examination:
- does not schedule an examination within the 90-day eligibility period;
- requests to reschedule the examination less than five days before the scheduled test date;
- fails to report for an examination appointment;
- arrives more than 30 minutes late for an appointment; or
- fails to present appropriate identification on the day of the examination.
If fees have been forfeited and the candidate still wishes to take the examination, a new application and the appropriate examination fee must be submitted.
Your application is not complete until you receive an email confirmation of eligibility containing instructions on how to schedule your examination. CBIC sends candidates an email confirmation of eligibility to the candidate within seven (7) business days of acceptance of the application. If eligibility is denied, you will be contacted by CBIC. If a confirmation notice is not received within two weeks of submission, contact CBIC at (414) 918-9796 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The confirmation of eligibility email includes instructions detailing how to schedule an examination appointment with Prometric online or by phone.
A candidate’s eligibility is valid for 90 days after receiving the email confirmation notice from CBIC. The examination must be scheduled and taken within this 90-day period. A candidate who fails to schedule an exam appointment within the 90-day eligibility period forfeits his/her examination fees and must submit a new completed application and the appropriate examination fee in order to schedule an examination appointment.
Examination appointments are scheduled for a 3.5 hour window of time – three hours for the examination itself, and fifteen minutes on each end for completion of the tutorial and the post-exam survey.
Candidates can schedule their examination by one of two methods:
- By telephone: (800) 278-6222 (US and Canada only)
- Online at www.prometric.com/cbic.
To schedule an exam online:
- Access www.prometric.com/cbic
- Click on “Schedule My Test”
- Select the location at which you would like to test
- Follow the instructions provided in your confirmation email for finding and selecting a test center location and test date and time.
To schedule an exam by phone:
- Call (800) 278-6222 between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm EST Monday - Friday and follow the prompts utilizing the eligibility number sent to you in your confirmation email.
- At the end of the call, you will be given a number confirming your appointment. Record and keep this confirmation number for your records.
Severe weather or an emergency could require canceling scheduled exams. If this occurs, Prometric will attempt to contact candidates by phone or email; however, you may check for testing site closures by calling Prometric or logging on to https://www.prometric.com/en-us/pages/sitestatus.aspx. If the site is closed, your exam will be rescheduled without a rescheduling fee.
If a testing center is open for testing and you choose not to appear for testing, your fee will be forfeited and you will need to pay another full exam fee. Please call CBIC with any concerns regarding missed appointments due to unforeseen circumstances.
You may reschedule or cancel your appointment on line at www.prometric.com/cbic or by calling (800) 278-6222.
Prometric rescheduling fees are as follows:
- Rescheduling 30 days or more in advance – No Charge
- Rescheduling between 5 and 29 days in advance - $30 Fee
- No rescheduling or cancellations are allowed within 5 days of your appointment; examination fees will be forfeited.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, special testing accommodations will be considered for individuals with disabilities recognized by the ADA. Request for special accommodations must be made at the time of application. Please complete the Request for Special Accommodations and Documentation of Disability forms, found on the CBIC website, in order to be eligible.
If you require any special accommodations, please contact CBIC at email@example.com before submitting your examination application, and the staff will be happy to assist you in meeting your testing needs.