- Why did you choose a career in infection prevention and control?
I choose Infection prevention and Control is my career because I want to make a difference in quality and safety for health care workers and patients. I do believe in value based care than volume based care.
- What advice would you give someone who is interested in an infection prevention and control career?
Infection prevention and control is a noble profession in which we are getting opportunity to collaborate hospital wide to stand out for patient safety. Follow evidence based guidelines.
- What does being a CIC® mean to you?
Being a CIC means a lot for me. By attaining the credible certification, we are becoming an exceptional leader in the field of infection prevention and control with demonstrated knowledge and skill.
So glad to be one of the member in international infection prevention community. More confident in guiding the health care and non health care worker towards patient safety.
- How has being a CIC® helped you navigate the current COVID-19 climate?
Knowledge about mode of transmission and prevention and control strategies of COVID 19 helps to create a safe work place environment for the staff and that Provide psychological support and increase confidence to the staff.
- What was the best studying method for you when preparing for the initial certification examination?
APIC text, CDC website
- What advice would you give someone pursuing certification?
Utilize all resources to gain the knowledge. Certification shows the credibility of an Infection preventionist and advanced reading makes our day to day work life very easy.
- How do you stay up-to-date on infection prevention and control practices?
Reading from different professional website like CDC, ISDA ,WHO and many other journals. Keep involve with IP communities through social media and be a member in the local and international APIC chapter.
- Are you part of an APIC or IPAC Canada chapter? If so, would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I would recommend others who are in the field or who are planning to be in the field to be a member in those professional chapters.
- How has the CIC® helped you grow professionally and in your career?
CIC given me more confidence that helped to face new challenges in the field.
- Are there any CIC® stories that keep you up at night? This can be related to the examination or a specific patient story that stands out.
When I took over the responsibility as Infection preventionist in COVID Field hospitals, which has a new physical set up that differ from other general hospitals given a stress full days and night to create work flows that focus mainly to protect the front line heroes from COVID exposure. Experience and CIC reading helped me to analyze each work flow detailed and thoroughly to close all loops of risk of exposure while maintain the patient safety.
Though the risk of transmission was very high in a COVID hospital, I was determined that implementation of national and international guidelines will help to overcome all the risk. Each single day was celebration for me when it pass through without a single work related exposure to our heroes.