1. Why did you choose a career in infection prevention and control?
Making a carrier shift is difficult for anyone; for me, being an ophthalmologist for 4 years after the graduation make it more difficult, but when you believe that you are the patient guardian & your work will improve his safety, you will be more convinced to read and learn more, not caring the years you will lose by that shift.
After more than 10 years of experience in that promising field, I can say it is interesting, challenging work. Proud of being infection preventionist.
2. What advice would you give someone who is interested in an infection prevention and control career?
I advise who is interested in infection prevention & control to expand his knowledge by reading the guidelines, practice only what is evidence based then, finally stands on a solid base by getting certified
3. What does being a CIC® mean to you?
Being a CIC means that you are unifying your practice and experience with the evidence based practice. Also being certified means you are committed & recognized
4. What was the best studying method for you when preparing for the initial certification examination?
Practicing what is written in the guidelines is the best way to study IPC, as it put you in the real life inside the hospital & provide you with the whole real hidden challenges.
5. What advice would you give someone pursuing certification?
I advise anyone who pursuing certification, never lose too much time hesitating, if you are eligible for the exam, practice the standards then proceed.
6. How do you stay up-to-date on infection prevention and control practices?
Attending conferences, asking for the new in researches and keeping in touch with what is written in CDC guidelines make the infection preventionist up to date on the IPC practices.
7. Are you part of an APIC or IPAC Canada chapter? If so, would you recommend it to others?
As an APIC & SHEA member, I advise all infection preventionists to join, as it is a big source for the experience of the others, also its website provide a valuable courses