1. Why did you choose a career in infection prevention and control?
I had past experience of working in Intensive care Units of tertiary care Hospital where I have seen patients getting Hospital acquired infections in critical care and organ transplant Units . Due to unavailability of trained infection control Practitioners and improper implementation of Infection control guidelines
2. What advice would you give someone who is interested in an infection prevention and control career?
I definitely suggest all healthcare professionals to work as a team and play their crucial part in preventing infections
3. What does being a CIC® mean to you?
My recognition as infection control physician after CIC was tremendous and my confidence levels increased after certification
And preparation for CIC exam itself helped me in my daily infection prevention practice as most of the APIC material and CIC questions were on clinical based scenario
4. What was the best studying method for you when preparing for the initial certification examination?
My best method for preparation was APIC text ,APIC study guide and daily discussion along with weekly conference in CIC academy group by CIC certified members of the group and constant motivation to appear in CIC exam by our GROUP admin
5. What advice would you give someone pursuing certification?
I recommend all faculty working in Infection control Department to be certified because during preparation for the course and exam all clinical scenarios are well highlighted ultimately your skills of infection prevention will be improved resulting in better patient care and outcome
6. How do you stay up-to-date on infection prevention and control practices?
I update myself with current topics from APIC and IDSA wbsites and attending regional and International conferences related to Prevention of Hospital acquired infections
7. Are you part of an APIC or IPAC Canada chapter? If so, would you recommend it to others?
Yes,Iam international permanent member of APIC, I strongly recommend to other infection prevention health care staff to become members
8. How has the CIC® helped you grow professionally and in your career?
After CIC certification .I was promoted as one of the member in Research committee and I was also given responsibility for antibiotic policy formulation and its Implementation and I was also part of education and training of healthcare staff
9. Are there any CIC® stories that keep you up at night?
During my routine laboratory work,I noticed increase number of Infections due to klebsialla species
in paediatric ICU resulting in sepsis.The reason was breach in hand hygiene technique by one of
newly appointed staff nurse proper training and importance of infection prevention practices in healthcare workers can decrease morbidity and mortality in critical care areas