1. Why did you choose a career in infection prevention and control?
I am a MD Microbiologist and my thesis during my Post graduation was on VAP(Ventilator associated pneumonia) and the process of doing my thesis was itself a motivation for me to become an Infection preventionist.
2. What advice would you give someone who is interested in an infection prevention and control career?
It’s the essential branch of medicine I must say because we should do no harm to the sick and for doing this you shall have to be preventing the infection at first place and controlling it at second place if it happens and choosing IPC as a career means you are committed to do NO HARM
3. What does being a CIC® mean to you?
First of all I did my CIC because I was interested in doing it , don’t know why but I was like I have to do this from the time I heard about it and the process of doing it and preparing for it, was very useful and very informative and it actually helped my practical part of my job is now more evidence based.
4. What was the best studying method for you when preparing for the initial certification examination?
I have gone through the whole APIC textbook once ,then I read it in batches and correlated with the practical which I was doing at my place. I have also joined CIC academy just 2-3 weeks before my exams and it was very useful as I came to know the pattern of questions.
5. What advice would you give someone pursuing certification?
Complete the APIC and correct your flaws at job it will be easier
6. How do you stay up-to-date on infection prevention and control practices?
I do visit CDC website often HICPAC ,APIC and even NHSN guidelines etc.
7. Are you part of an APIC or IPAC Canada chapter?
Right now Iam not part of any of these ,but I would like to be member of both of them.
8. How has the CIC® helped you grow professionally and in your career?
It actually made me more Confident I must say, in knowledge I have ,in the practice I am doing daily.
9. Are there any CIC® stories that keep you up at night?
I first scheduled the exam thinking that this I am doing daily anyhow it will be easy, 2 months I was very slow and it was only 1month before exam I was actually counting on how many chapters of APIC I have finished Horrible it was and I was very tensed ,was not getting time to read doing job ,taking care of children.. was preparing one schedule and realizing that I was lagging behind, then preparing another one n it continued. my little son was asking mamma you have exam ? OK study.. then my sort of night outs started and finally day before exam I was only left with 2 chapters to complete whole APIC of 125 chapters.. gone through highlighted text of important chapters and finally passed with a good score.