1. Why did you choose a career in infection prevention and control?
Being an Infection Control Practitioner (ICP) because ‘Infection Prevention and Control is an ocean where learning never ends’. It transformed me to be a critical thinker and innovator implementing changes in health care practice resulting in patient safety and quality care.
2. What advice would you give someone who is interested in an infection prevention and control career?
It is a vibrant nature of profession that provides autonomy and opportunity to make a remarkable change in healthcare system based on evidence-based practices.
3. What does being a CIC mean to you ?
I believe that CIC certification is a credential and spot flashlight on you to realise your own strength and area for improvement. In addition, it gives recognition and value for your position globally and not limited to your working place.
4. What was the best studying method for you when preparing for the initial certification examination ?
Register and enroll in the CIC study chapter as well refer APIC study guide 6th edition. Tip to remember: Read and analyse the IPC concepts with ‘Concentration and Understanding’ then ‘Practice and Review’ the concepts. Participate in group discussions and webinar presentations.
5. What advice would you give someone pursuing certification ?
All IPC interested candidates should prefer to pursue CIC certification as it provides evidence-based practice through APIC and relevant sources. Undoubtedly it builds up your confidence level in judgement and decision-making process.
6. How do you stay up-to-date on infection prevention and control practices ?
Active participation and member of the regional IPC associations and following relevant regulatory bodies, national and international infection control agencies via social media. Attending conferences, seminars, and research forum at national and international leve.
7. Are you part of an APIC or IPAC Canada chapter ? if so would you recommend it to others ?
No. Certainly, I recommend to be a part of it.
8. How has the CIC helped you grow professionally and in your career ?
I believe that CIC paves way to excel in your career and self-satisfaction by ensuring patient safety. Indeed, Infection Prevention Control Practitioner wears many hats.